Planning Applications

The Planning Authority

The planning authority for the parish of Oakamoor is Staffordshire Moorlands District Council (SMDC). They have published a comprehensive website which includes information about making planning applications. There is also an option to search for applications that have been received. Each application has a separate on-line file where you can view the key details and also see copies of the documentation. You can comment on the proposals and to help you with this the website includes a guide to supporting, objecting or commenting. The information and guidance notes are important because the law only allows certain things to be taken into consideration. For example, loss of a view or issues relating to property values cannot be addressed through the planning process.

Planning Applications and the role of the Parish Council

SMDC notify the parish council when a planning application has been received and the parish council is given a formal opportunity to comment on the proposals. The views of residents are always welcomed by the parish council whether they are supporting or objecting to an application. All planning applications are discussed at the meetings of the parish council.

List of Applications

If you want to view or make comments online about any of the applications in the Parish of Oakamoor you can copy the application reference number and paste it into the SMDC search page here.

You can also send comments in writing to the SMDC, the address is on their website.

What are permitted development rights?

You can make certain types of minor changes to your house without needing to apply for planning permission. These are called “permitted development rights“. They derive from a general planning permission granted not by the Council but by Parliament.

Click here to view interactive householder guidance on permitted development rights for householders

Circumstances where permitted development rights are restricted or removed

Permitted development rights which apply to many common projects for houses do not apply to flats, maisonettes or other buildings.

In some areas, known generally as ‘designated areas’, permitted development rights are more restricted. If you live in a Conservation Area or an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, you will need to apply for planning permission for certain types of work which do not need an application in other areas (refer to the Local Plan to see if your property is located within one of these areas). There are also different requirements if the property is a listed building (click here to search if your property is listed).

In some areas, permitted development rights may have been withdrawn using an ‘Article 4 Direction’. This will mean that you have to submit a planning application for work which normally does not need one. Please click here for more information about Article 4 Directions.

In some instances, there may be a planning condition that also restricts permitted development rights. This is typical for more modern housing estates.

Houses created through permitted development rights to change use from shops, financial and professional services premises or agricultural buildings cannot use householder permitted development rights to improve, alter or extend homes: planning permission is required.

Please click here if you want clarification whether planning permission is needed, or not, for a specific proposal or want advice as to whether a proposal is likely to be supported by the Council before submitting a planning application.

Design Guidance & Design Codes

Staffordshire Moorlands District Council have a recently adopted Design Guide covering the whole of the District, and a suite of other guidance covering matters such as Design Principles and Space about Dwellings. Please click here for Design Guide Information

Planning Advice Surgeries

Staffordshire Moorlands District Council hold ‘Free Planning Advice Surgeries’ at Moorlands House every Wednesday. The surgeries offer the opportunity for residents and businesses to discuss planning proposals with a planning officer and to seek their advice, at a free half hour appointment. The service is aimed at residents seeking to extend or develop their homes or at businesses wishing to make alterations, obtain changes of use, erect advertisements, construct extensions etc. It is also suitable for other small and minor developments such as infill plots, single dwellings, barn conversions, or agricultural buildings.

This service is offered in addition to the paid pre-application process which can be used to seek formal advice on all types of development including major residential and commercial schemes.

Appointments are available every Wednesday at Moorlands House in Leek and can be booked via the contact centre on 0345 605 3013.

Alternatively, specific conservation queries can also be directed to the Conservation Officer, Gill Bayliss:


Telephone: 01538 395576.